“Supporting families accessing In Home Care and the Services and Educators providing this.”

What is the role of an In Home Care educator?

In Home Care is child care in a family’s own home. These families may be living in rural and remote areas, working non-standard hours, they may be facing a challenging situation, or have other complex needs.

In Home Care educators are dedicated child care providers and are not expected to perform household duties outside of those associated with the care of children. Their role is to provide children with a variety of age appropriate, play-based activities that encourage each child’s development, learning and life skills. If an educator has children under-school age in their care, they will be required to work with the Early Years Learning Framework.

An educator may also work alongside other service providers who all have specialist knowledge to assist each family with their specific circumstance.

Being an In Home Care educator can be a unique and rewarding experience. An educator can play an important role in the lives of families with unique child care needs and improve their quality of life.

How do I become an educator?

To become an In Home Care educator, you will have to possess the necessary qualifications and be registered with an approved In Home Care Provider. You will also have to be engaged by an approved In Home Care Service.

What are the requirements?

In Home Care educators are required to have the following minimum qualifications:

  • minimum Certificate III level qualification in a relevant course or be working towards a Certificate III qualification and provide documentary evidence.
  • a Certificate III, a diploma or a degree in Early Childhood Education or equivalent qualifications that have a major focus on Early Childhood Education are acceptable qualifications.
  • the primary school teaching qualifications of educators are also deemed as acceptable qualifications
  • if you work in a rural or remote area and have difficulty meeting the qualification requirements, transitional provisions until 1 January 2020 will apply.

Visit the Australian Children’s Education and Care Authority website to find out more.

You must also be:

  • at least 18 years old
  • an Australian resident, permanent citizen or have the relevant visa to allow employment on a continuous basis for 12 months or more
  • engaged by an approved In-Home Care service
  • holding a current working with children suitability card (Victorian content) or Blue Card (Qld content)/li>
  • undertake a police check
  • first aid certificate, preferably for providing first aid to children (HLTAID00)

Individual services may also require you to have additional requirements.

Other questions?

Call us toll free on:

1800 IHCARE (1800 442273)